Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/29/d134578137/htdocs/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284

November 2nd already! I have been at this for over two years now with one failed lab attempt. I would be lying if I said I seriously haven’t considered walking away from it all. It just isn’t interesting right now for me. I am having a real hard time trying to focus and getting back on track. I have tried reading some of the books, doc cd and web stuff, but nothing at this point is motivating 🙂

Right now I don’t even know what 4.0 material I should use. Should I keep pounding away with Narbik’s? Do I go back to his bootcamp a couple more times? I think the big issue right now is people are studying for V4 like they were for V3 and failing miserably. There hasn’t been one R&S pass yet. Everything you hear right now about the troubleshooting section is bad :/
Right now I don’t think anyone’s troubleshooting workbook is going to help you out. You either know the material and how to troubleshoot or don’t. I really need to keep fresh or I risk losing alot of the material I had in my head four weeks ago.

Now I am just looking for a direction to walk more than anything else…

Comments

10 Responses to “Status Update 11.02.2009”

1. SickMonkey on November 2nd, 2009 3:10 pm

Bro,

I am in the same boat but with the Security lab. Oh, that and I failed v2 3 freaking times. There is no decent materials completed out there and almost no passing people since APRIL. WTF.

I am really trying to figure out if it is worth it. Right now it doesn’t seem to be worthwhile. It’s not like I will get a raise or have better job prospects. Just a tad bit different ones.

Good luck making that decision. The main thing making it rough on me is that I don’t quit anything. So….. I guess I am still going at this again. Oh, and my written expires in a tad over a month. So I get to do that again. Oh well, such is this dumb@ss field we are in.

2. H on November 2nd, 2009 5:44 pm

There is only one direction man…FORWARD!

I like making lists of topics that I know I am weak in, I mean real specific lists such as “ISIS route-leaking” or “MPLS LDP session protection” (for the SP exam). I have probably 50 or so of these and I work on them in dynamips in real small scenarios.

One thing I hate is trying to motivate myself for a full 8 hour rack session when time could be more efficiently spent on some smaller topics. Especially since I completed volume 1 stuff. That’s why I make up smaller labs on my own.

Good luck.

3. Matthew Smith on November 3rd, 2009 12:14 am

I haven’t touched a CCIE related thing since I failed in August and honestly – I forgot what it was like to have a real life and spend time with my family!

Seriously – take some time off, enjoy time with the family and then come back to your CCIE studies. The good news is that since 4.0 is out now, the test wont be changing for a long while.

I failed in August and I am just now getting back into it starting next week. I would suggest enjoying the holidays and hitting it up hard for the new year! I would start with Narbik’s new workbook and another bootcamp.

4. Mike on November 3rd, 2009 2:22 am

The frustration is hard to overcome sometimes but they only way forward is just that, forward.

I failed V4 last week, it was rough and demoralizing but I did not feel like it was impossible at all during the whole thing. It is different though, it will be different from your V3 experience.

The part that irritated me the most was the new delivery system. I feel like if we had two monitors we could save some time trying to move windows around so I could see what I was working on. Seriously, did nobody use this system before they put it out? I haven’t read anything good about it. It does have some neat aspects to it but they are ALL erased with the simple lack of screen real estate to look at it AND work at the same time.

I do believe we have to adjust our strategy. Practice more, understand better, generally speaking.

Sometimes, I do wonder if it is worth it. This is truly the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to do. I went to night school for 4 and a half years to finish my bachelor’s degree. Easy. This is hard.

5. Jeff Rensink on November 3rd, 2009 9:43 am

From reading the INE forums, it sounds like one of the v4 reviewers said that INE’s vol4 workbook was good training for the troubleshooting section. So that might be a good resource for you.

Also, if you want to get a look at the new delivery method, check out the demo of the CCIE Accessor lab over on Cisco’s website.

Good luck in your studies. Keep sitting in front of the CLI and you’ll get there.

6. CCIE Journey on November 5th, 2009 11:17 am

All valid suggestions 🙂 Now to find the motivation!

7. Matt Mullins on November 8th, 2009 9:27 pm

Please don’t give up. I am almost finished with a PCI audit for work..then I am off to start my own CCIE journey.

8. giorgiop on November 13th, 2009 6:08 am

The CCNP is also changing,mine expired and since It does not look like I am going to pass the CCIE soon I’ll do the CCNP again.
    There is an entire troubleshooting exam replacing the security+qos ones the books should be available end of December.
    It could be a good place to start it is a Cisco exam lets use Cisco books.
    Also the Troubleshooting Ip Protocols again from Cisco is a useful one,nice succinct review of the protocols,including multicasting, and then a clearly explained troubleshooting session.It will be 2 years for me in Apr 2010 no intention to give up !

9. Joe on November 17th, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey Carl,

You can’t give up now man…we all know you are very close!!! It would be a shame to quit now. Remember as they say the darkest hour is right before the dawn 😛

KEEP GOING!!! We all know you can do it.

10. GungaJim on November 23rd, 2009 7:34 am

Maan, I’m in exactly the same boat as you. I’ve just started a blog to try and keep myself motivated – but it’s HARD!! Especially as i know i missed the boat with V3 – if i had the money and knew what i know now i woulda begged, borrowed,stole to get that exam done.
    My only motivation now is that i’ve got a new lab partner (my last one already passed 🙁 ) – if he passes before me i’ll be gutted!!