Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/29/d134578137/htdocs/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284

Except right now I am so lost. I feel like I am in a free fall with everything Cisco. I have not had the chance to touch anything for almost four weeks. I don’t even know where to begin again. Have I lost everything I have learned already? Do I go back and watch the Internetwork Expert COD’s once more? Do I start the workbook over? My biggest problem right now is that I get a few days of lab work in and then bam I am out of it for weeks. With the baby due in August, work, life in general I feel like I am losing ground every minute. I am a creature of momentum! I need to be continuous with everything I do or I lose the will to do it. I am not a person that can do something every few days and feel like I am actually getting something out of it.

One of the biggest problems is at work. I don’t get to touch Cisco every day anymore. With the MPLS network and our provider doing the routing all I do is watch our usage and bandwidth. The biggest thing I have done in weeks was configure NTP on everything for the sake of logging. Outside of that I am doing nothing with Cisco. I feel like I am just becoming a simple manager. I purchase items we need more than I handle the network which I guess means it is configured and running correctly. Writing and signing purchase orders though does nothing for the brain.

Once I am home I am either mentally worn down from all the trivial mental tasks of the day to do anything or I have to work on things around the house. The wife is becoming very limited in what she can do so I have to pick up more of the slack and that is only going to get worse.

Each day that passes I grow more frustrated as well. I honestly don’t want to go back and watch the COD again, I don’t want to go over mindless, countless hours of lecture I already did. Is it good I find a lot of the stuff they teach boring as hell? It is the easy things I seem to lose track of, such as when to use an access list, when to use a prefix list, why to use either or ? When to use a route-map instead of just using the redistribute command or redistribute static or connected… UGH

Maybe I have just put too much pressure on myself and had a time table that was not achievable in the first place when it came to the lab.

I really need to get to the center of my being and find out what is there…

Comments

6 Responses to ““At the center of your being you have the answer;You know who you are and you know what you want.”- Lao-tzu”

1. cciepursuit on April 30th, 2008 9:55 pm

Keep your chin up. You and I will celebrating our 6 digit numbers over beers at a Toronto Bills – LA Vikings game before you know it. 🙂

I’m on my third round through the COD and that sucker doesn’t get any more interesting with repeated viewings. But I am still picking up new bits of info and having lightbulbs go off with each viewing.

Even without extended periods away from the CLI I get rusty on topics that I haven’t touched for a while. I think that the only way around this is to keep on chugging through labs and reading and viewing until it eventually becomes second nature….or your head explodes. Whichever comes first. 🙂

2. Carl Yost Jr. on April 30th, 2008 11:11 pm

LOL 6 digit numbers :D! If I become CCIE 100,000 I wonder if I get a prize!

3. Scott Vermillion on May 2nd, 2008 1:08 am

Hey Carl,

I can relate. My SP studies have been running at probably 20% (or less) of what my R&S studies would have been in a given span of time. And I too am a creature of momentum, so this is something to be monitored and managed for the both of us!

In spite of the fact that it took me three weeks to get through that two-week IE CoD, I repeated probably 60% or 70% of it in my final weeks of lab prep. It was not necessarily pleasant time, but it was time well-spent. So don’t rule that out entirely. In fact, I’m going to repeat the entire thing before my access expires. You’d be amazed at what you can forget in such a short span of time! Especially when you turn your mind to something else, such as another CCIE track.

You know where to reach me if you ever feel the need to chat/hash/vent/etc! I’m traveling quite a bit again at this point so I’m occasionally slow to respond, but usually not by more than a day or two…

Regards,

Scott

4. Keith Tokash on May 2nd, 2008 10:19 am

I don’t have the baby coming like you do, but like everyone I have struggled with logging enough CLI hours, and of course the fact that I’ve been doing this so long I have forgotten what it’s like to *not* be doing it. My solution was two-fold.

1. Wake up even earlier and do *all* of my weekday studying before work. I wake up at 4.45am now; before starting the CCIE marathon I was a midnight to 8am sleeper. I can pack away 2-2.5 hours before work, and usually take Fridays off.

2. Accept that I will go from a powerhouse at work to … well, a lot less than what I was. I can’t be counted on to stay until 9pm anymore just because we’re busy. I made a commitment to getting this stupid cert and that entails sacrifice.

My co-worker took 5 years to get his R&S, mostly because he had to stop for about 1+ years in the middle because his wife had a really tough pregnancy and was bed-ridden for most of it, then he had to take care of her and the baby. So he had to basically start all over. But it wasn’t the end of the world. He got it in the end. If you feel like you have to choose the CCIE or your family, you may have to set the CCIE aside for 6 months. It’s not a great feeling, but it’s better than the constant guilt and anxiety one gets from trying to do two mutually exclusive things and feeling bad for not excelling at either.

5. Carl Yost Jr. on May 2nd, 2008 1:10 pm

@ Scott – Thanks I will be sending you an email later today. I just have a quick question I wanted to ask you.

@ Keith – Family has to come first. You are right about trying to divide the time up between the two and feeling the guilt. I may just try to do the early bird studying. I am sure I will get some middle of the night feedings/IOS reads in as well 🙂

6. AndySamuels on November 30th, 2011 7:44 pm

Congrats, I see you made it through.
    I hope you had the opportunity to “get to the center of my being and find out what is there…”
    It is what drives you 🙂